What We Do

‘Strands of Love’ is part of Women’s Ministries at Venture Christian Church and Orchard Community Church. We are a group of women who knit or crochet items to be donated to those in need, in and around our community, across the country and around the world. We have made baby items for Heritage Home and Good Samaritan Hospital, and for individual families within the church, including those with newborn foster children. Some of our baby hats and blankets have gone on missions trips around the world! We have also donated afghans to InnVision, and made scarves for soldiers serving in Afghanistan.

There are many groups and organizations that can benefit from something that is just a hobby to many of us. Why not put your skills to “work” and come join us – we are all knit by God to be in His service!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Meeting Notes Jan 24th


Well. Wow. Hmmm. GOD IS GOOD! We had a record number of attendees tonight - 16! Further evidence that knitting is cool: Jeanette's daughter Braiden brought three of her friends who wanted to learn how to knit. Are you sitting down? Two of them were guys. High school guys. What a hoot! They all did very well I might add. I even took their picture....;-)


We had another new face join us tonight (Kate). She found us through the SVCC website and we're happy to have her join us! And would you believe it? Another person (Nicole) actually came back after I taught her to knit last time. I didn't scare her off - praise God!

A comment about COMMENTS. You were all having trouble posting comments to the blog (including me) because ~ahem~ I had the comments settings wrong. *egg on face* You should be able to comment now. At tonight's meeting I decided just to turn them off so it wouldn't frustrate people and when I was attempting to figure out how to do that just now I noticed my original error. I am still planning to create a Yahoo Group for us, so we can email freely within the group and no one will miss any emails.

I am putting together a Contact List for the group and since tonight's attendance was so powerful (yes we are powerful!) I pretty much have everyone's info. I will email the missing persons and then send out the list. I'm feeling so much more organized, aren't you?

CURRENT PROJECT: Adult hats and lap blankets to be given to shelters/nursing homes. It warms my heart that a few of you used the hat pattern I posted and we have a few hats done already - great job! If you're making a hat and want to be able to fold it over to make a double layer over the ears, just knit 4" of ribbing instead of 2", the rest is the same. If you want the pattern "translated" for knitting in the round let me know and I'll post it.

Lap blankets: please make them 34" x 40", or as close to that as possible. Use worsted weight yarn (or double yarn of a lighter weight) that is washable.

We have not made the final decision about where these hats and blankets will be donated. Please email your suggestions - I certainly am not familiar with every shelter and nursing home in the area by any means. Let's start a list.

PIGGY BANK: We asked for $1 from each person. There were 16 people tonight. We have $40. This is God's Math. Thank you to those who over-gave...:-) Please note in the sidebar that I started a tally of what's in our coffers. Keep me accountable folks!

If I've left anything out give me a holler! Blessings all around, and lots of knitting time to all!

Attendees: Debbie, Linda, Jeanette, Pam, Joan, Sandy, Connie, Debie, Nicole, Kate, Bobbie, Janet, Braiden, Heather, Trevor and Taylor

No comments: